Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Painting 10mm Confederate Infantry

I recently finished painting up my first unit of GHQ 10mm American Civil War Confederate infantry. So today I'll post a tutorial on how I did it, along with some pictures of the results. All of the paints used were Games Workshop/Citadel paints.

As usual, I first clean off mould lines and file the miniatures, then glue them to large popsicle sticks. I then primed them with Smelly Primer. I painted the jackets Codex Grey, and the pants and canteen cover Snakebite Leather. I also painted some of the hats in each of those colors.

Confederate Infantry Confederate Infantry

The end results, after inking them later, turned out with the jackets darker than I would have liked. So you might want to paint them Fortress Grey instead. You'll also want to paint the tin cup hanging off the haversack with Fortress Grey.

I next highlighted both the jackets and pants with lighter colors. You can probably skip this step if you aren't too picky and only care how they look from a few feet away, but I think it helps, especially when looking at them closely. Again, I painted some of the hats in these lighter colors, and highlighted the previously painted hats.
Confederate Infantry

I next painted the rifles, flesh areas, hair, and some of the hats with Beastial Brown.
Confederate Infantry Confederate Infantry

I then drybrushed the hands and faces as best I could with Bronzed Flesh. Then I painted the rifle barrels, bayonets, and canteen cap with Mithril Silver.
Confederate Infantry Confederate Infantry Confederate Infantry

I painted the belts, cartridge box, cap pouch, bayonet scabbard, and shoes with Dark Flesh. You could make these black instead, but I like the dark brown to differentiate them from the union soldiers.
Confederate Infantry Confederate Infantry

Then I painted the haversacks and straps with Bleached Bone.
Confederate Infantry Confederate Infantry

The buttons, belt plates, and cartridge box plates I painted Shining Gold. It is difficult to see the buttons and belt plates on many of these miniatures, so I used the colonel as an example for the buttons.
Confederate Infantry Photobucket

The final step is to ink the entire miniature, except for the flesh areas, bayonets, and perhaps the hats. I used a watered down Black Ink on most of the miniatures, to give a regiment with mostly grey jackets. For some of them, I used watered down Brown Ink, which results in a really good butternut look.
Confederate Infantry Confederate Infantry

And here are some pictures of the results, representing the 1st Texas Infantry regiment.
1st Texas Infantry 1st Texas Infantry 1st Texas Infantry 1st Texas Infantry 1st Texas Infantry

I think the results were pretty good, though, like I said, I think the jackets would look better if there were lighter. The color ink you use can really have a big impact on the final result. The standard bearer with the battle flag is one of the ones I used brown ink on, and as you can see the result is a much more faded grey/brown color.

You can use different colors of ink, along with the different colored hats and using some grey pants, to get a more ragged and varied look if that is what you prefer. I wanted mine to be more uniform, with just a few who looked different. I used hat color to add more variety, while still allowing the regiment to look consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment