As usual, I first clean off mould lines and file the miniatures, then glue them to large popsicle sticks. I then primed them with Smelly Primer. I painted the jackets Codex Grey, and the pants and canteen cover Snakebite Leather. I also painted some of the hats in each of those colors.
The end results, after inking them later, turned out with the jackets darker than I would have liked. So you might want to paint them Fortress Grey instead. You'll also want to paint the tin cup hanging off the haversack with Fortress Grey.
I next highlighted both the jackets and pants with lighter colors. You can probably skip this step if you aren't too picky and only care how they look from a few feet away, but I think it helps, especially when looking at them closely. Again, I painted some of the hats in these lighter colors, and highlighted the previously painted hats.
I next painted the rifles, flesh areas, hair, and some of the hats with Beastial Brown.
I then drybrushed the hands and faces as best I could with Bronzed Flesh. Then I painted the rifle barrels, bayonets, and canteen cap with Mithril Silver.
I painted the belts, cartridge box, cap pouch, bayonet scabbard, and shoes with Dark Flesh. You could make these black instead, but I like the dark brown to differentiate them from the union soldiers.
Then I painted the haversacks and straps with Bleached Bone.
The buttons, belt plates, and cartridge box plates I painted Shining Gold. It is difficult to see the buttons and belt plates on many of these miniatures, so I used the colonel as an example for the buttons.
The final step is to ink the entire miniature, except for the flesh areas, bayonets, and perhaps the hats. I used a watered down Black Ink on most of the miniatures, to give a regiment with mostly grey jackets. For some of them, I used watered down Brown Ink, which results in a really good butternut look.
And here are some pictures of the results, representing the 1st Texas Infantry regiment.
I think the results were pretty good, though, like I said, I think the jackets would look better if there were lighter. The color ink you use can really have a big impact on the final result. The standard bearer with the battle flag is one of the ones I used brown ink on, and as you can see the result is a much more faded grey/brown color.
You can use different colors of ink, along with the different colored hats and using some grey pants, to get a more ragged and varied look if that is what you prefer. I wanted mine to be more uniform, with just a few who looked different. I used hat color to add more variety, while still allowing the regiment to look consistent.