Monday, March 27, 2017

Baker Company Winter War Finns First Wave

My first batch of Baker Company Winter War Finns (from their long-ago Kickstarter campaign) are finished. The sculpts aren't great, and I think some of the casting on these was rushed and they suffered some issues as a result. However, I did get a lot of Finns and Soviets for my money. Below you can see pictures of my first batch of Finns, consisting mostly of the basic infantry squads with a few extra things thrown in. There's still much more to do. I came up with a painting method that was pretty fast so I could batch paint these to a decent enough standard fairly quickly. If you're interested, you can see all the details of my paint scheme in a previous blog post: Painting Winter War Finns.

Unfortunately, the pictures didn't turn out great. I don't know if it has to do with the lighting, or how much white is on the miniatures, or more likely the glare from the transparent bases. Many of the pictures came out dark and a bit blue-ish. I'm not sure how to fix that, but hopefully these give a decent impression of the results I got with my batch painting method.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Kingdom Death King's Man and The Hand

Kingdom Death
See below for some pictures of my painted King's Man and The Hand. I tried my best to get something close to the "official" color scheme from some pictures I found through Google. I think they were from art cards that came with the resin versions of The Hand and the King's Man. Currently the images can be found on a Kingdom Death fan wiki here: The Hand and King's Man. Painting the King's Man was pretty straightforward, but the Hand was much more elaborate.

The picture of The Hand has intricate patterns all over his clothing. I wasn't going to try to freehand paint anything like the actual patterns, but I did try to achieve a similar effect. All I really did was put random little squiggly lines all over, without trying to actually make a pattern out of it. Up close it is obvious the lines don't really form any kind of patter, but at a tabletop distance the effect is fairly convincing. So I'm pretty happy with how that turned out. I'm also pretty happy with the metallic cloth effect I was able to achieve on The Hand's cape. I don't think the gold armor pieces turned out very well, but maybe if I give them a gloss varnish coat to make them more shiny that will help.