I also tried out a new method of basing that I've been meaning to try for a while. After painting and varnishing them, I removed them from their slotted bases, clipped off the slot, and filed the feet down flat. I then had to do some touch-ups around the bottom of the feet or where paint chipped or cracked from the clipping. I then glued them to transparent acrylic disks.
It was a bit of extra work, but they look great on the table. The bases become hardly noticeable at all, and all the artwork on the board tiles can be seen through them. This is definitely the way to go for games like Warhammer Quest, which are played on flat surfaces. With more three dimensional terrain, the smooth acrylic disks might slide around if they are set at an angle on the side of a hill or something. I'll have to try that out. But so far, they have worked out great!