The painting techniques were similar to how I painted the 5th Texas, which you can read about here. One difference is that I used some different colors for the blanket rolls to make them stand out more. The colors I used were Scab Red, Bubonic Brown, Camo Green, and Blue Grey. I think they look pretty good and stand out much better.
I also used black ink on them instead of brown ink, to make their jackets look grey rather than butternut. The black ink doesn't seem to settle into the recesses nearly as well as the brown, and results in a more splotchy look. I'm not sure if I'm watering it down too much, or not enough, or if I just need to replace the ink. It has gotten dried out a lot into a thick paste, so maybe it's no good anymore even though I try to reconstitute it with more water.
Anyway, here are some pictures.