Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Warhammer Vampire Counts Fell Bats

Here are some pictures of my painted Fell Bats for the Warhammer Vampire Counts army. These were originally posted on Monday, July 30, 2007.

Fell Bats Fell Bats Fell Bats

I think they turned out really well. Especially the blending I did on the wings to get that leathery look. To achieve that look, I first painted the wings a dark brown color. Then I used a thick brush to drybrush on a lighter brown color, with very little paint on the brush. Actually, there was pratcitally no detectable paint on the brush. But I used a sort of circular motion, almost like I was polishing the raised areas. Where I wanted it to be the lightest, like in the very middle, the most raised parts of the wings, I pressed a little harder and did many more passes of circles. Where I only wanted it to be a little lighter than the base color, I just did one quick pass of little circular motions. I think the result is really nice. The look even better in person than the do in the pictures.

Also for these Fell Bats, I started making use of magnets to attach them to their bases. I have often had problems with flying based that are glued on breaking off when I try to transport the models somewhere. To solve this problem, here I have glued a small circular magnet to the bottom of each Fell Bat (which I painted over black to make it less conspicuous), and another small circular magnet to the top of the stem of the base. So when storing and transporting the models, I simply take them off their bases so there is no chance of them breaking. Let me know what you think of the idea, or if you have any other interesting uses for magnets on your miniatures.

The magnets I used in the bases were ordered from the Amazing Magnets website. They have a great selection of all different sizes and shapes of magnets, so you should be able to find whatever you might need for your miniature projects.

Finally, here is a picture of all my painted Vampire Counts miniatures, to show my progress up to this point.

Vampire Counts army

1 comment:

  1. i know that this is one of your early posts years ago but i was looking for ways to paint the wings of my fell bats and after reading this and many articles yours is by far the simplest and effective method. i will be trying this on mine tomorrow using bestial brown and scorched earth.
    thanks again

    ReplyDelete